Bike ride

Honoring All Who Serve: Look here for historical discussions regarding Military Service and WWII.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER

Paul.nz
General
General

Bike ride

Post by Paul.nz »

This morning i went for a mountain bike ride up north and i stopped at a plaque i always drive past.In 1942 in the second world war the united states sent 20,000 soldiers here to help our forces and to be closer to the action.The plaque and the buildings has old photos and showed where they all stayed.They left new zealand a year later in 1943 but a lot of the buildings etc still remain.
I knew they come here but i had no idea how many.Apparantly a japanese sub got into wellington harbour so around the citys up in the hills gun emplantmants were set up aiming out to sea.Most of the concrete areas remain but the guns were removed and sent to japan for scrap.Only one of the guns was fired and it broke windows etc about 1 km away.
Tomorrow is anzac day again and i will be one of thousands who will be at the parade in the city at 5.30 tomorrow morning.My grand dads medals are polished and my auntie is going to wear them tomorrow.Tomorrow is going to be extra sad because last anzac day one of the airforce helis crashed on route for the flyover and killed all onboard.