Anzac day

Honoring All Who Serve: Look here for historical discussions regarding Military Service and WWII.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER

Paul.nz
General
General

Anzac day

Post by Paul.nz »

Today is anzac day.This is the only day i really look forward too.I was up at 4.15am and out the door at 4.45am to go to the anzac day parade.It was raining but when i got there it stopped and started again on the way home so it was nice.We have no ww1 soldiers anymore but a lot of ww2 soldiers,familys and spectators.
Once again there was a huge presence of young kids.In fact about 50 young kids (4 to 12) marched with the soldiers.The young kids wearing their grandparents medals is a very moving moment for me.
I have my granddads medals but unfortunatly my great granddads medals vanished.in 2015 i would like to go to gallipoli to celebrate the 100 year milestone but that depends on funds.During the second world war my nana made soldiers uniforms and army clothes.At this time our army (12 people) was overseas fighting in different battles as part of the brithsh forces.
This is when the usa sent 20,000 soldiers here to protect new zealand and to be closer to the action down this way.Since then we have mainly been helping out and rebuilding and not in a fighting situation.But our sas (specialized elite) have been doing missions in war zones but it is kept quiet what it is.
Once again we sung the australian national anthum and it was better because we knew we were going to and it appears people learnt the words.
A young girl stanging behind me fell to the ground and was lifeless and it was scarry but her friend knew what it was and was comfort for her friend.I wrapped my jacket around her to keep her warm untill the ambulance staff arrived.I prey she is alright and getting all the treatment she needs to recover.
Hloudowig
General
General

Post by Hloudowig »

It's great to see other countries honoring their soldiers past and present. This is still true here in the US, our day being Memorial Day near the end of May.

Paul, thanks for sharing your experience.