Be prepared

Off-Topic: Away from the game. Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ...

Moderators: Paul.nz, Silo, GASOLINE^*^IGNITED, Hottieshottie

hitman
< TWL > Hall of Fame
< TWL > Hall of Fame

Post by hitman »

Namanation wrote:50 gallons of gasoline, 1 trust worthy generator, power strip, pc, wireless connection, 10 gallons of water, propane stove and more gas =), 75 packs of top ramon, box of tampons (for those nasty cuts), a blankie for cumfort, am/fm radio, vasaline (dont ask), cell phone, a lighter 2 liter bottle 2 inch piece of pipe with bowl and some gum. 12 twenkies, the latest issue of sports ill. swim suit, a pic of vipers wife and some tiolet paper. What else could you possibly need.
Sorry vipe you know I love you. :sos:
yes sir lol that wood be all i need o ya and beer
Image ALL MUST DIE SAME DAY Y NOT NOW
Moving Target
< TWL > Hall of Fame
< TWL > Hall of Fame

Post by Moving Target »

Nam, I'm interested in where you keep 50 gallons of gasoline? Hopefully not in your garage!

A large number of us live in the Pacific Rim Earthquake Belt and have some form of emergency kit. We keep ours near the garage door so it'll be in easy reach when needed. The local Emergency Measures Program says to be self-sufficient for up to 72 hours in the event of a disaster....I'd add a day or two.

USE EXTREME CAUTION WITH COOKING FACILITIES AND OPEN FLAMES IN A DISASTER DUE TO DAMAGED NATURAL GAS LINES!

We also keep water frozen in re-cycled milk containers in the freezer, it actually saves you money by helping the freezer work easier and keeps the milk cartons out of the landfill. We have a two burner propane stove as well as two BBQ's to cook with and keep a supply of dry and canned food in our kits as well as the frozen stuff in the freezer. Note, if you have frozen food, eat it first as it will spoil once the power goes out.

The dry and canned food gets re-cycled every Xmas when we donate the year-old stuff to the food bank. Food's great to have on hand and so is a stove, but don't forget a frying pan and a pot to cook it in. Utensils are also a good idea. Keep some waterless hand cleaner around to wash up the dishes, you don't want to poison yourself just after surviving the "Big One".

In addition to frozen water, you can also drink the stuff in your water heater and toilets, just boil it first.

Go to your marine supply store and buy a cheap emergency distress flag. They're bright orange and come with the International symbols for help (a black ball and a black square) printed on them. Search and Rescue helicopters will see them from the air and know you need assistance. A crank-up radio/flashlight is also a good idea, but if you're relying on battery powered stuff, don't forget to change the batteries annually. You might also include a mirror or piece of polished stainless steel to signal aircraft after your batteries die. Aircraft can see a reflecting mirror from miles away....provided the Sun's shining.

First aid kits AND TRAINING IN IT'S USE are a must. Get the training............no good having the stuff if you don't know what it's called or how to use it!

You might also consider a hard hat for each family member, hearing and eye protection, gloves and rain gear as you may be involved in rescuing your neighbours. Vacuum pack a couple sets of old clothes as well and keep close by. Like Viper said, don't forget your pets, we keep two weeks supply of dog food on hand all the time and figure we can eat the dogfood, then the dog, if necessary!

Keep some cold hard cash handy and keep a gun so you can keep your cash!

As you can imagine, there's no limit to what you keep on hand. We keep ours in a couple of big "Rubbermaid" containers with lids. The big thing is to remember what you have and where it's kept. You might even coordinate your kit with a few other neighbours to ensure you all have what's needed, or even share the cost of purchasing larger items like generators.

Cellular phones are going to be pretty much useless in the event of a disaster as personal phones WILL NOT work. Only those used by registered emergency services will get through the system. You can imagine how little time it would take to overload the system if all the personal cell phones were in use at the same time. However, having said that, it's a good idea to have a contact person far away from you that you and other family members can call when able to let them know you're OK. Make sure the other family members have the same contact person and number.

Just my .02 cents worth.

This is a great post, and let's all hope we don't need this stuff!
Last edited by Moving Target on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See Ya There!
Felony

Post by Felony »

Target wrote:He said a whole bunch of stuff above!
:sos: This is the best post yet in this thread. And what better person than from emergency personnell. Thanks Target! :sos:
Private_Lapdance
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Private_Lapdance »

I'm thinking the most important survival tools would be large caliber and at least semi-auto. Have gun, will eat. have gun, will travel. Have gun, will pretty much have what ever you need.
I hate to say it but for you US citizens the right to bare arms will be the most important right in the years to come.

I suspect your best survival tool will be a cabin up here in my neck of the woods. In the mean time

See you soon! or at least sooner than most of you expect :welcome:
And no, we only accept Canadian dollars.
The Warlord of consistent skill never leaves traces of where he has been. He is indistinguishable among the many. His plans are well thought out, but are unfathomable to the Enemy. He appears where he is not, disappears into the void without a trace and prepares for his next attack. - Sun Tzu, Book 6-The Art of War

On the battlefield there is no substitute for overwhelming firepower and a decent cup of tea. -Private Lapdance
Queen!

Post by Queen! »

Viper you make the world sound like a very scary place lol just what I needed to think about at night when I try to sleep. :finger: It all sounds very interesting and can't wait till this comes upon us all and we all laugh cause Viper knew, and we shoulda listened lol. :evilGood: Viper!
SuicideBomber(inPA)

Post by SuicideBomber(inPA) »

Nice viper..................alot of people dont think about this topic until its to late.............. :thumbup1: :twl:
<center>Image<center>
Omegaman

Post by Omegaman »

Dont forget GUNS, Lots Of GUNS. :guns:
Cody
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Ha

Post by Cody »

Ouch wrote:geesh viper u just discribed how we "canucks" get thru a winter...but you are correct in the fact "most" people are not ready for any kind of disruption in there manacured life style....simple survival skills are out the window in this "instant" gradification life that everyone lives now... how upset do we get when the power goes off? most run around in the dark looking for a flash light.. god help if the power stays out more then afew hours..."panic" thats a word that can kill and most go there when unprepared... take vipers advice people... stock up on supplies.. one never knows when life will decide to change gears on ya.....(living on an island thats suppose to sink in an event of a large earthquake make me wonder ... why do i live here???)... :sos:
LOL it is true espesily when you go to pender island to see family...power is always out :banghead:
Cody
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

Post by Cody »

Dont forget a handheld TV! oh ya and remeber spare batteries LOTS OF THEM. :70:
When you are in hell just keep going

-Winston C.
Hloudowig
General
General

Post by Hloudowig »

We use mostly rechargeables for our battery powered toys and such, which made me think about finding an old school hand crank generator like the Army used to have in WII for the field radios for when the AC goes out. Of course, here in NM, a portable solar panel would keep several car batteries charged for use at night.

As for guns we have a couple Mosin Nagants (real versions of the ones in the game), Ruger 10-22 and boxes of ammunition... Though I need to go out and another 1000 rounds for the MN's.

The biggest thing is I have accumulated too much crap in my life over the last 30 years. When I was in the USMC, everything I owned fit into two sea-bags (duffle bags for you Army types).

Most everyone here has some good suggestions, when we lived in FL we had a major stock of canned goods that we rotated in case of hurricanes, which happened more often than I liked.

Thanks Viper! Everyone - Be prepared!