How to fix video cards

Tech Talk: Discuss gaming or computer issues here! We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER, Hottieshottie

Paul.nz
General
General

How to fix video cards

Post by Paul.nz »

Well my video card died and i have been using a computer i made which was very old and slow.I was at the point where i would have had to spend a lot of money for a video card.I come across a trick people have had great success with and it also worked for me.My dead video card now is alive and running again in my good computer.I know people wont beleive me but i can confirm this trick worked and i have the photos to prove it.
Firstly once i removed my video card it was full of dust so the poor thing was proberly overheating all this time so it is important to clean them occasionally (i will do it from now).
Firstly remove the fan assembly and any paper stickers.Clean all the heat transfer paste from the gpu and give the video card a good dusting so it is clean.We then have to prepare the video card for baking (yes i said baking).
Get the flat tray from your oven and put some tin foil down.Get four pieces of tinfoil and roll into four balls for the video card to sit on.Put the four balls on the corners of the video card to raise the card from the tray with the components aiming UPWARDS.So the soldiered pointy part is at the bottom.Get the card as flat as possible.
Heat your oven to 190 degrees celcius (375 degrees f).Put the card in the oven for EIGHT minutes.they say eight to ten is safe.Turn off oven after 8 minutes.One minute later open the oven door to the first stop.5 minutes later open door fully.15 minutes later remove from oven and leave on bench to cool.When cold reassemble with new HEAT TRANSFER COMPOUND (VERY IMPORTANT) and put it back in your computer.
Hopefully you will be like a lot of lucky people and it has worked.
This process is melting the soldier and it runs into small holes where it has come apart,that is why the components have to be up top otherwise they will fall out.
This is obviously the last resort but obviously the card is junk so it is worth is.Also its a bit smelly...open your windows.
Disclaimer....This has worked for a lot of people but i take no responsibility for it.
You can also use it to fix motherboards,cellphones,anything with a circuit board.
before the fix
before the fix
my dead video card
my dead video card
remove the fan
remove the fan
place tin balls underneath to raise off the plate
place tin balls underneath to raise off the plate
another view
another view
Going again
Going again
Fresh install of windows is going.Time to play.
Fresh install of windows is going.Time to play.
Youtube clip (make sure card is the correct way with caps etc upwards,this guy is slightly wrong)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmzGnjJN ... re=related
ViPER
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Re: How to fix video cards

Post by ViPER »

Thats incredible Paul !

Shouldn't this post be in the Cooking forums? :rofl:

:twl:
Ouch
General
General

Post by Ouch »

well paul i must say this worked for me :) i had my video card go dead last week..been spending time looking for a new one..THANKS!
this I hope last till payday :)
once again thanks alot :cheers:
thru the mud and the blood.. to the green fields beyound
ViPER
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Post by ViPER »

It should last as long as it has since you bought it, and it should work again next time you do the same procedure.

:twl:
Paul.nz
General
General

Post by Paul.nz »

Ouch thats awsome it worked.Mine is going like normal again and i done another card 3 days ago which fixed it.I wouldn't buy a new video card just yet because this has solved many problems and it could be ok for years.I was looking for cards as well but hopefully now i dont need to buy one straight away.
I have a 27 inch monitor here which is supposed to be faulty but i cant fault it.I am supposed to fix it and if i cant fix it to throw it away.Maybe i will just say it was totally buggered and had to be thrown away and score a new monitor.
FireCracker
Division Commander
Division Commander

Post by FireCracker »

Paul.nz wrote:I have a 27 inch monitor here which is supposed to be faulty but i cant fault it.I am supposed to fix it and if i cant fix it to throw it away.Maybe i will just say it was totally buggered and had to be thrown away and score a new monitor.

Honesty is always the best policy. :wink:
ViPER
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Post by ViPER »

OUCH, I heard you tried this.

Sorry to hear but Paul said your motherboard caught on fire and blew up. :banghead:

You were suppose to take out the vid card and place it in the oven..... NOT your whole computer!!!!!

:comfort:

:70: :70: :70: :70: :70:
Paul.nz
General
General

Post by Paul.nz »

Whatever happened is just plain unlucky.This would have had nothing to do with the video card so its just unlucky but i think every piece has been broken into hundreds of pieces so we will never know.Ouch let us know exactly what failed.

If he did put the whole pc in the oven he would now have fried mouse and krispy keyboard so at least he has dinner sorted.
Paul.nz
General
General

Post by Paul.nz »

Last night while i was playing call of duty my video card played up again.It had the same blue screen etc and the computer started.So out come the video card,off with the fan and in the oven it went.Baked for 10 minutes at 180 degrees celcius and let it cool for 10 minutes.The video card is going again with no problems.While it was out i cleaned the fins so hopefully it will last awhile longer before i upgrage.
Paul.nz
General
General

Post by Paul.nz »

Yesterday my computer kept crashing when starting games again.Like before thousands of small lines will appear on the screen and nothing would work untill i restarted the computer.I tried everything without luck so it was time for the card to come out.I baked it again for the fifth time and its all go again.I have no idea how many times i can torture this poor video card but at this point it stands at 5.The capasitors are still fine so it was a soldier issue so hopefully it stays alive for another 6 months.
FireCracker
Division Commander
Division Commander

Post by FireCracker »

Paul.nz wrote:Yesterday my computer kept crashing when starting games again.Like before thousands of small lines will appear on the screen and nothing would work untill i restarted the computer.I tried everything without luck so it was time for the card to come out.I baked it again for the fifth time and its all go again.I have no idea how many times i can torture this poor video card but at this point it stands at 5.The capasitors are still fine so it was a soldier issue so hopefully it stays alive for another 6 months.

LOL I'm still amazed. Do you think adding extra solder to the solder points would fix it for good?
Paul.nz
General
General

Post by Paul.nz »

My video card finally has died.I have baked it about 8 times and it has been 19 months since i first had to bake it.It is a sad day for the 8800gt but it has done me well.I was thinking about attacking it with solder but even if that works it wont last very long.
Right now i am using a 15 year old pci video card with a whopping 32 mb of memory onboard with max resolution of 800x600...Gee it is a beast.But on a positive note i dont need my glasses to see the icons and writing now.