DLNA server

Tech Talk: Discuss gaming or computer issues here! We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER, Hottieshottie

Paul.nz
General
General

DLNA server

Post by Paul.nz »

I have been running a DLNA server for awhile now and love it.It suits me down to the ground and have it running daily in fact it is always connected.I will try to explain what it is.Basically it is a media server which sends music/movies/photos to your tvs from your computer or network harddrive.
My setup
NETWORK external harddrive (with all my movies/music/photos on it),(different that a usb harddrive).
Cable connecting the network harddrive to my wireless router which sends the data into the air
My tvs have wireless and dlna built in so i can simply press a button on the remote and choose music,movies or photos
Choose the folder i want to open and press the file i want
The network harddrive has a server program built in and the movie will start playing on the tv.It can be playing on any tv connected to my network
so i can go to bed and watch a movie.
The benifit of a network harddrive is i DO NOT need to have any computers turned on and my data is always available.I can even dial into my network from friends or work and listen to my music (but thats getting a bit yuppie so i wont say i have done that).
Connected to each of my tvs is a stereo so i never use the tv speakers and always have my stereo (home theatre) on even watching normal tv.

Ok if you have a wireless router and computer but a older tv with no DLNA built in you can buy a small box which connects to your tv through HDMI and connects to your router wirelessly or wired.This system you need a server running on your computer like TWONKY or windows media player (version 10 and above i think).
This works well BUT it will only work while the computer and server is running so it can be noisy while watching a movie.I have invested so much in home theater i dont even want a hum or a crackle so having the computer running drove me crazy.
Most of these magic boxes allow you to stream your media and has a browser built in so you can have internet on your tv.I have the weather saved on my system in the room so in the morning i can see if it is worth getting up to go flying or stay in bed for a few more hours.

Ok now is where it gets tricky and geeky.Modern home theater amplifiers have network built in so you connect your amplifier to your router and then connect your tv,dvd harddrive recorder,cd play,bluray player etc to your amplifier.This way you can stream your music directly from your router to your stereo or in the case of a movie it passes to your tv for viewing and use the stereo for audio.

A huge amount of new tvs etc have DLNA built in but people dont know about it so check your manuals for your tv etc and you may be surprised you may already have what is needed to set it up....
Paul.nz
General
General

Re: DLNA server

Post by Paul.nz »

Rock asked for the wiring diagram i use.This is the setup for two rooms.One amplifier is used solely for the shakers in my couch and foot stools.Excuse the bad writing it was very late when i did it.
Diagram.jpg
Paul.nz
General
General

Re: DLNA server

Post by Paul.nz »

Update on my media server.
Since i first posted i have made a few changes to make things run better.I now have a iphone and can control just about everything from it.
If anyone has a smartphone and ANY tvs connected to a wireless router for internet etc MUST download a free app called twonky beam.IT IS FREE from the app store.

Basically this program does what it says and very well.IT BEAMS media from your cellphone,network server or even a webpage to your tv.If you dont have a full media tv with no youtube etc,start twonky beam,go to youtube and press beam and choose your tv connected to your router and it beams the youtube to your tv.
I have a network stereo amplifier connected to my router so i can control my music from my phone.I can sit outside and choose my music and turn the volumn up/down etc.
When starting twonky you have a few buttons to press.
1.play media from the internet.....youtube etc,any webpage you like
2.play media from a network storage harddrive/computer etc with a server program running
3.play media from the cellphone

This is definatly the best app i have used and it is well worth a download.This can beam to tvs and stereos.....ummm this should also beam to other cellphones on your network but i have never tried that.Download it and have fun.

Here is a youtube link which shows beam working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... UVrFgq5PdM