Noisy computer

Tech Talk: Discuss gaming or computer issues here! We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER, Hottieshottie

Paul.nz
General
General

Noisy computer

Post by Paul.nz »

My computer is a tower case which sits here beside me and it has always been quite noisy.Also in summer it gets quite hot to a point i was removing the side cover in the middle of summer.Lately i have been trying to get my computer quiter and have been monitoring the cpu and gpu temperatures.I did the usual cleaning of the inside cpu and gpu heatsinks and the cpu was constantly going over 80 degrees c where the max is 72 degrees c.I removed the heatsink and replaced the compound and now it is at 48 degrees c.I am not sure if it was a compound issue or the heatsink not sitting on the cpu perfectly but it is ok now.
I modified my case and cut a hole in the bottom below the video card and fitted a 120mm fan aiming upwards.At this point i have a 120mm at the front (inlet),120mm at rear (exhaust),120mm at bottom (inlet),80mm on the side aiming at cpu (inlet) and 120mm power supply (outlet).I modified the wiring so all the case fans run at 7 volt so they are quiter but dont spin as fast so dont move as much air.Ok at this point my video card is the noisiest fan.
I removed the video card and removed the fan.i removed the sticker in the bottom of the fan (in the middle of the piece which does not spin) and i put a few drops of oil into the fan to lubricate it.I reassembled everything and started etc.
I did a video card burn test and after about 3 minutes it was at 95 degrees c,(max is about 110 degrees c).Also because it was so hot the fan on it was on 100 percent.
This was not good so i kept going.I cut another hole in the top of the case above the memory chips and mounted another 80mm fan there aiming upwards (i will fit a 120mm there when i can get another fan free).I also have this fan running on 7 volts.I did another gpu burn test and is it awsome.After 15 minutes the card was still on 65 degrees c and because it is cooler the fan speed is only on 70 percent so it is slower and therefore quiter.
I am still using the stock intel cpu cooler and the stock gpu cooler on my 8800gt and it is overclocked 20 percent but now the computer is much quiter and definatly staying cooler.
I can not beleive the difference putting the fan on the top made so if your case has fitting for one fit one.If it dosn't and you have a jigsaw and drill etc it is well worth the time.Also fit the largest fan you can in.Bigger fans means they turn slower and move more air so are much much quiter.