Temporarily Turn Off Windows Auto-Update!

Tech Talk: Discuss gaming or computer issues here! We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER, Hottieshottie

FireCracker
Division Commander
Division Commander

Temporarily Turn Off Windows Auto-Update!

Post by FireCracker »

I updated my Windows os today.. All was fine until I wanted to play Spearhead.

When clicking to load the game, I got a pop up saying, "Access Denied - Please login with administrator privileges and try again".

After some google searches I found out one of the latest Windows updates is causing the issue. Gamers all over the world are having this problem on a ton of games.

The update causing the problem is: KB3086255

To resolve the issue, I simply went to the control panel and selected "recovery" and RESTORED my system to before the last windows update.

To confirm KB3086255 was the specific problem, I went back to update my system and selected every single new update possible, EXCEPT for KB3086255. I completed the update, restarted and Spearhead will now load like normal again.

Microsoft has to make a fix for this because thousands of people are raging about it. I'm sure something will be done about this faulty update, but in the meantime... TURN OFF auto update otherwise the same issue will happen next time you reboot.

Good luck!

:Beer:

-Fire Cracker

FireCracker
Division Commander
Division Commander

Re: Temporarily Turn Off Windows Auto-Update!

Post by FireCracker »

FireCracker
Division Commander
Division Commander

Re: Temporarily Turn Off Windows Auto-Update!

Post by FireCracker »

Info below will fix your problem directly for MS update 3086255, without the need for no cd patch. This will make your game play like normal with your cd.

Fix found here:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -component

NOTE: THE INFO SHOWS 2 WAYS TO DO THE SAME THING... EITHER USE COMMAND PROMPT (IN ADMIN MODE) OR EDIT REGISTRY.

You will want to use "auto" when making the change.

So if using command prompt, type:
sc config secdrv start=auto

-or-

If editing registry:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv
Right-click Start, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, do one of the following:

Type 2 to set the driver's service to automatic, and then click OK.
Exit Registry Editor.

FULL INFO BELOW
Summary
In addition to the changes that are listed for the vulnerabilities that are described in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-097, this security bulletin addresses a defense-in-depth update for the secdrv.sys driver, a third-party driver. The update turns off the service for the secdrv.sys driver. This may affect the ability to run some older games.

To learn more about the vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS15-097.
More Information
Important

All future security and nonsecurity updates for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2 require update 2919355 to be installed. We recommend that you install update 2919355 on your Windows RT 8.1-based, Windows 8.1-based, or Windows Server 2012 R2-based computer so that you receive future updates.
If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.

Known issues in this security update

After you install this security update, some programs may not run. (For example, some video games may not run.) To work around this issue, you can temporarily turn on the service for the secdrv.sys driver by running certain commands, or by editing the registry.

Note When you no longer require the service to be running, we recommend that you turn off the service again.

Warning This workaround may make a computer or a network more vulnerable to attack by malicious users or by malicious software such as viruses. We do not recommend this workaround but are providing this information so that you can implement this workaround at your own discretion. Use this workaround at your own risk.

To do this, type the following commands at an elevated command prompt. You should press Enter after you type each command.
To disable the driver's service, type the following command:

sc config secdrv start= disabled

To set the driver's service to manual, type the following command:

sc config secdrv start= demand

To enable the driver's service (and to set it to automatic), type the following command:

sc config secdrv start=auto

To manually start the driver's service, type the following command:

sc start secdrv

To manually stop the driver's service, type the following command:

sc stop secdrv

ImportantThis section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
322756 How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
Or, you can edit the registry directly. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv
Right-click Start, and then click Modify.
In the Value data box, do one of the following:

Type 4 to disable the driver's service, and then click OK.
Type 3 to set the driver's service to manual, and then click OK.
Type 2 to set the driver's service to automatic, and then click OK.
Exit Registry Editor.