Computer parts

Tech Talk: Discuss gaming or computer issues here! We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER, Hottieshottie

Race Bannon
General
General

Computer parts

Post by Race Bannon »

Hello Fellow Clan Members.

As some of you know, I make my living by fixing computers that other have messed up. I have had people that have brought me computers that the cup holder does not work, or they cannot figure out why their computer does not work after they slapped there magnetic calendar on the side of their tower. I also spend a lot of time answering people’s questions on where to buy computer parts cheap.

So I figured that I would take a moment to share some information on how I decided which parts to buy and where from.

I figured that I would start out with where to get good information on what to buy. There are two sites that I use the most. The first one is Tom’s Hardware Guide ( http://www.tomshardware.com.) This site is dedicated to telling people about what hardware is out there. It also runs articles that rate current hardware. This way you can figure out what to buy that will give you the most bang for your buck. If you click here, you can see how Tom’s rates the latest Video cards. The site groups the carts by how much they cost.

The other site it called PCStats.com (www.pcstats.com). This site also tells you want is new just like the site listed above does. However this site is better at giving very detailed information on hardware. This site also has what it calls “Beginners Guides”. There are quite a few of them and you will also find that they are very well written and easy to understand.

I’ll take moment to tell you about a few websites that are good for purchasing computer parts or whole systems. One site is called Tiger Direct (TG) (www.tigerdirect.com). This is the site that I use the most for purchasing parts for home and work. TG sells refurbished Gateway computers. If you do not feel confident enough to put together your own computer, this can be a good way to go. I have picked an example to give you an idea of what I am talking about. Just take a look at the refurbished Gateway computers with an Intel Dual Core processor. I would start here, find a machine with a 2.4Ghz processor and two gigs of ram, and you are looking at spending around $500. Then all you have to do is put a good PCI Express card (I would spend between $199. And $399). Following these guide lines you are looking a very good gaming machine for less than $1,000.00. If you are looking for that screaming deal, then look at TG’s website looking for a place to input your email address and they will send you member specials to the address. They send out a lot of good deals on barebones computers this way.

Another site is called PriceWatch (www.pricewatch.com). This site is a parts clearing house for electronic retailers. I have used this site quite a bit in the last few years. The only thing that I can tell you about this site, is that make sure you check out the sellers reviews before you buy from them. Also you will need to make sure that you know what you are looking for. Things like, brand, model, specifications, and make sure that you keep in mind the price of shipping.

The last site that I would talk to you about for parts is Newegg (www.newegg.com). This site is a lot like Tiger Direct, so there is not much that I can say about it, and I have to admit that I personally have never bought anything from it. However I have several friends that swear by this site, and will not do any on line puchasing without looking at this site first.

I hope that I have given you some ideas and answers to some of the questions that arise when you are in the market for computers or computer parts. If you have any other questions please feel free to email them to me at TWL_RaceBannon@hotmail.com

Take care, and good gamming……..Race.
Last edited by Race Bannon on Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FragQueen

Post by FragQueen »

My personal experience with NewEgg has been fantastic. As a rule they end up having the lowest prices and there are rebates with many products. There shipping is lightning fast and they offer wonderful customer service. A real class act. Did I mention.....I LOVE NewEgg. :glasses: We also run a computer repair, custom PC biz...or rather the Tick does. I just whine for upgrades and tech help :pc:

Frag
Race Bannon
General
General

Post by Race Bannon »

Well I have thought about running my own PC repair business, but with having too little girls and the fact that there already a lot of companies in our area that sell, fix, and custom build computers. I figure that is it better for me to keep my comfy Government job with medical and dental.

I do however spend a lot of time fixing co-workers computers on the side. I have found that I can make quite a bit of money this way. I don’t charge them a lot, so they don’t gripe about having to pay me.

So all and all it works out pretty well.

As for my wife looking for upgrades, I’m pretty lucky. She does not like play FPS (First Person Shooters) games. She is more into Pogo and games like that. So her computer does not have to be that great. She usually gets the computer that I am currently using after I build an upgrade.

:pc:
hitman
< TWL > Hall of Fame
< TWL > Hall of Fame

Post by hitman »

well she must not be geting to bad of pc lol not the way u play lol
Image ALL MUST DIE SAME DAY Y NOT NOW
FragQueen

Post by FragQueen »

She usually gets the computer that I am currently using after I build an upgrade.

Be glad she doesn't play FPS. I'm really lucky to have my own pit crew, I'm surrounded with geeks. And I always give Tick my cast off hardware whenever I upgrade. :ok: