Internet piracy sting targets 75

Off-Topic: Away from the game. Want to chit chat about anything, do it here ...

Moderators: Paul.nz, Silo, GASOLINE^*^IGNITED, Hottieshottie

Tartan

Internet piracy sting targets 75

Post by Tartan »

WTF :bs:

About 75 Kiwi internet users could soon receive copyright infringement notices under the internet piracy law that came into effect two months ago.

Telecom has confirmed it received notices from the Recording Industry Association of New Zealand (Rianz) overnight asking it to send copyright infringement notices to 42 customers that the association has accused of internet piracy.

Earlier today, Orcon chief executive Scott Bartlett said it had received notices from Rianz in respect of the activities of eight of its customers and that it would be sending them infringement notices.

TelstraClear spokesman Gary Bowering said it had received a few dozen allegations of copyright infringement and was in the process of validating them.

"If they are found to meet the criteria of the new file sharing regulations then we will pass on these allegations to the relevant customers in accordance with the obligations set out in the Copyright Amendment Act."

Forty of the 50 notices sent to Telecom and Orcon concerned the illegal download of Rihanna tracks and another six for Lady Gaga tracks.

The notices will be the first sent under the two-month old law, which was passed by Parliament to combat piracy over peer-to-peer file-sharing networks.

Telecom spokeswoman Anna Skerten said the notices it had received from Rianz appeared to comply with the conditions of the Copyright Amendment Act.

Rianz will need to fork out $25 per notice to recompense ISPs for sending the notices to their customers, but could recover that cost if the infringements continue and the internet downloaders are fined after a "third strike".

It appears likely additional notices have been sent to other ISPs. Vodafone said it had also received "a few" notices.

People accused of internet piracy can be fined up to $15,000 once they have received their third infringement notice, under the controversial "three strikes'' law.

At a minimum they are likely to be required the reimburse rights holders for the $275 cost of paying for their three infringement notices and bringing a case against them to the tribunal, if found guilty by the Copyright Tribunal.

HOW THE PROCESS WORKS

Step 1: Copyright owner detects an infringement and sends the internet protocol (IP) address to the relevant internet provider which forwards a ''detection notice'' to their customer.

Ad Feedback Step 2: A second infringement between 28 days and nine months later against the same owner or one represented by a shared body will trigger a "warning notice".

Step 3: A third infringement between 28 days and nine months later will result in an enforcement notice and the internet provider will forward the customer's details to the Copyright Tribunal, if asked to do so by the copyright owner who has five weeks to decide whether to take action.

Step 4: The Copyright Tribunal can impose a fine of up to $15,000 after examining written evidence, or after a hearing if that is requested by either party.

The Fine Print: Internet users can challenge notices, through their internet provider, but they will stand unless withdrawn by the rights holder.

Related story: A Dummy's Guide to Skynet
Paul.nz
General
General

Dont worry

Post by Paul.nz »

They can only get your ip from monitoring torrent sites or creating a scam site to get ips who logged on.Just stay away from torrents.I dont like them anyway so i never used them.If i have to use torrents i use masking programs to hide my ip.I can hide my ip from other sites but i dont bother.
I also have just been invited to join a private site which is invite only and has 1500 people and a huge amount of stuff.
At the moment the recording industry will be flexing their mussles but they will only ever get the small fry and the large downloaders and uploaders will always get away with it.The only legal thing on this pc is spearhead and battlezone.I have about 10,000 songs,300 movies,countless music videos.Lately i have been listening to online radio stations and ripping the mixes onto mp3.
I also just uploaded 15 gig of mp3s to a friend.I say "share the love" :biggrin: :biggrin:

If you need help hiding your tracks let me know.
Tartan

Re: Dont worry

Post by Tartan »

Paul.nz wrote:They can only get your ip from monitoring torrent sites or creating a scam site to get ips who logged on.Just stay away from torrents.I dont like them anyway so i never used them.If i have to use torrents i use masking programs to hide my ip.I can hide my ip from other sites but i dont bother.
I also have just been invited to join a private site which is invite only and has 1500 people and a huge amount of stuff.
At the moment the recording industry will be flexing their mussles but they will only ever get the small fry and the large downloaders and uploaders will always get away with it.The only legal thing on this pc is spearhead and battlezone.I have about 10,000 songs,300 movies,countless music videos.Lately i have been listening to online radio stations and ripping the mixes onto mp3.
I also just uploaded 15 gig of mp3s to a friend.I say "share the love" :biggrin: :biggrin:

If you need help hiding your tracks let me know.
I say "share the love :tongue: :tongue: :Beer: :wink: :wink: lol lol
Tartan

Post by Tartan »

paul we need to have a chat about this ect