Dead pc

Tech Talk: Discuss gaming or computer issues here! We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER, Hottieshottie

Paul.nz
General
General

Dead pc

Post by Paul.nz »

The last few days i have been fighting with my computer.
Firstly my video card died a horrible death.I fitted a cheap pci card i had laying around so i could at least use the computer.Ummm no windows.I made a new computer with bits i had laying around so i could at least get online while i fix my good computer.
i removed the good computers harddrive and found the partition gone.I could see the data but couldn't access it even using recovery tools.Its not a problem because i was going to reinstall windows anyway and i made a backup last week.
I then carried out a full fdisk and partition but when installing windows i couldn't change the screen resolution (junk monitor) and couldn't see the prompt to install the sata drivers or drives bigger than 160 gb.I also couldn't use my good monitor because of different plugs.I managed to reinstall windows using my old video card even though i couldn't really read what it was saying so now the computer is just sitting in the spare room waiting for me to decide what video card to buy.

So for now i am demoted to a computer i just made out of bits i had laying around.It does play spearhead but it is juddery and very low frame rates.The things we do just to play a game.
FireCracker
Division Commander
Division Commander

Re: Dead pc

Post by FireCracker »

Paul.nz wrote:i made a backup last week.
It's a good thing you did that!

Lucky! :)
Paul.nz
General
General

Post by Paul.nz »

I actually have backup of backup.I have 4 main harddrives.One for windows and 3 for data.I also have 2 external drives i put the backup onto.They are connected but only turned on for backup or to save data files.I also have 3 500gb harddrives which fit into a cradle to copy data into.These are kept in a sealed bag inside a tin container in my shed incase the house burns down.If i lose everything at least i will still have my music,photos cv etc.
I make regular backup of my documents and music files.i often reinstall windows and just copy the data back with a fresh install.Then i only install the programs i have been using often to keep the computer working fast.
FireCracker
Division Commander
Division Commander

Post by FireCracker »

Paul.nz wrote:I actually have backup of backup.I have 4 main harddrives.One for windows and 3 for data.I also have 2 external drives i put the backup onto.They are connected but only turned on for backup or to save data files.I also have 3 500gb harddrives which fit into a cradle to copy data into.These are kept in a sealed bag inside a tin container in my shed incase the house burns down.If i lose everything at least i will still have my music,photos cv etc.
I make regular backup of my documents and music files.i often reinstall windows and just copy the data back with a fresh install.Then i only install the programs i have been using often to keep the computer working fast.

Can never have too many backups.

I used to worry about backing up like that too. These days I have 3 hard drives inside my pc using RAID. The 3 drives work as one, and if a hard drive goes bad, or even two hard drives go bad... I still have everything.

You make a good point about a fire though. My solution doesn't work if the pc burned in a fire!

Online backups might be a good solution too. I like the idea of automated backups, so you always know you have the latest files. Like: http://www.carbonite.com/en/home/online-backup-pricing

It sounds like you have it covered though. :biggrin: