Network problem

Tech Talk: Discuss gaming or computer issues here! We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER, Hottieshottie

Paul.nz
General
General

Network problem

Post by Paul.nz »

I have changed internet providers so now my wireless router i brought from them is locked so i cant use the modem part of it.I can connect a different wired modem to my computer with the dsl wire in it and i have internet but i have no wireless router for my server.If i connect my computer to the wireless router my server and wireless works but no internet.If i connect the wired router to the wireless router and restart i get internet on the wired router but my wireless gets turned off somehow and i have no idea how to find its ip or get into the settings.I can get into the settings with the wired router etc.
I think it may have something to do with both have modems installed but that is a guess.Some threads i have read say to set the ips manually (but i dont know what the wireless one is)The wired is 10.1.1.1 and when the wireless is connected it is 192.168.1.254......
I am just trying to connect them untill i can buy a new wireless router.....Any ideas or recomendations of a new router..
FireCracker
Division Commander
Division Commander

Re: Network problem

Post by FireCracker »

You may want to make some searches for "how to unlock brand x model y router".
Paul.nz
General
General

Re: Network problem

Post by Paul.nz »

I already have done that.All the forums apart from one say forget it.The one which says you can i have downloaded their file but the is no update area in the menu so i have no idea how he did it.It is not worth bothering with.I have hardwired my tvs and media player so i am back up running but on a slower router.I have been reading lots online about the different types and speeds etc but i think i will just upgrade to a n spec and not ac.My wireless was for my tvs and stereo amp which will have much slower network cards so having the new fast speeds will do nothing for me.
The router i am using now is a g spec router which is slower than my internet speed so i really only need a n type wireless modem/router for now at a much lower cost.
The way i see it is the ac types will only have any benifit if you have two laptops connected together with the ac network cards and who really moves large files from one laptop to another laptop.But then again harddrives can only write at a certain speed so i think i will be throwing money away going the ac way right now.