overheating

Tech Talk: Discuss gaming or computer issues here! We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER, Hottieshottie

ViPER
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

overheating

Post by ViPER »

I was compiling a map the other night and the heat alarm woke me. I have no idea how long I was overheating the pc but I have noticed the alarm goes off often since then at very low room temps around 65 when i push the pc with something like MOH, mbuilder or terrogen(these all run at 99-100% when running or rendering). The fan vents are clear of debris so im not sure whats up.
Jimmy
< TWL > Hall of Fame
< TWL > Hall of Fame

Post by Jimmy »

From what you are saying I assume it has never overheated until now so, when was the last time you opened the case and cleaned the dust out? :pc: :wag: If dust builds up it will act like a layer of "insulation" over the Video card and processor not allowing the fans to keep it cool. Ground the case first and use a vacuum w/ a soft little brush and brush the dust into the vacuum then you can use q-tips in the delicate areas. This would be the first thing to check out, then check the power supply to make sure the fan is working in it. If it is being overloaded or on its way out it will cause a great deal of heat. While you are in there check all the fans for operation. Adding fans will help a lot. Do you have a good heat sink on the processor? If not get one and buy the good grease to transfer the heat from the processor to the heat sink. You can buy a case, processor and Video card temperature gauges to watch it.

Then when all is well, get your butt back in the game soldier :peace:
<center>Image

Evil Prospers When Good Men Do Nothing<center>
Felony

Helping You Help Us!

Post by Felony »

mbuilder or terrogen(these all run at 99-100% when running or rendering).
This may come to late, but if your continuously straining the CPU at 100% for extended periods (like overnight) more than likely it's a cooling issue.

To resolve, add a bigger but compatible fan to your CPU to help cool the straining CPU. In addition add a case fan for cool air intake. There will be a little arrow on the fan indicating air flow.

Some people don't beleive this but I've seen it. Depending on how old your computer is or how often you strain the CPU at 100% for extended times, the "Thermal Paste" (the goo between the heat sink and the CPU) could be fading. When this happens the conducting factor that the Thermal Paste provides for the CPU CAN also cause overheating and eventually CPU damage! If your comfortable in doing so, remove the heat sink and clean the top of the CPU and the bottom of the heat sink with a Q-Tip dipped in alcohol, but not alot you don't want to drown the thing, apply some more paste. Make sure it's not to much or little. About the size of a dull pencil tip is sufficient enough.
Thermal grease, to be exact. "Thermal transfer compound", if you want to be formal. It's the stuff you put between your CPU and your CPU cooler, to aid in the transfer of heat from the CPU to the Heat Sink.
If your still getting the overheat alarm while not compiling just playing MOH or system idle after adding fans and goo, there may be damage already done to the CPU.

Then if all else fails, I think we should take donations to revive you! We can't have our Supreme Commander down! :comfort:

One more thing ViP, make sure there was no wine spilled on it!!! :rofl: