Internet Speed Test

Tech Talk: Discuss gaming or computer issues here! We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER, Hottieshottie

Hloudowig
General
General

Internet Speed Test

Post by Hloudowig »

This came up last week talking with a couple of members, so I found a couple of sites to post

reviews.cnet.com/internet-speed-test/
This one told me 1.92Mbps no breakdown :confused:

http://www.speedtest.net/
4.86Mbps dowload 2.59Mbps upload 93ms ping :whip:

These tests were done just a couple of minutes apart and they're quite different, but it does give you an idea of your connection. I'm using a Cable modem through Comcast here in southern NM. I'm sharing the connection with SS.

I'm going to run these at different times of the day to see if there is a pattern.
I'd be interested in hearing from some other members what their speed is.
:twl: :twl: :twl:
Hloudowig
General
General

Post by Hloudowig »

Already have an update on this.

If you use the 2nd link, try selecting the Seattle WA server, it should be close to our server for comparison. DONT CLICK ON FREE SCAN, that is for them to download an app to your computer to scan through the registery, which might be OK, but at your own risk. INSTEAD make sure you click on BEGIN TEST in a rectangular block at the top of the map.

The site will suggest the closest one to you when you first get on there, run that cause it's hard to select Seattle, then select New Server, you have to select the Star near west WA , that will bring up a box of several cities - Seattle being one of them, click on that. The test runs automatically.

Now my results are much different from connecting to El Paso TX which is only 50 mi away:
14Mbps download 1.12Mbps upload ping 73ms 1350mi away for me to Seattle, hmm...

I'd be interested to see what Paul NZ gets with this :biggrin:
Paul.nz
General
General

Tests

Post by Paul.nz »

I use that site quite a bit.This is my results to san jose
download = 2.10 Mbs
upload = .13 Mbs
ping 208 ms

tested again 2 minutes later
download = 1.31 Mbs
upload = .13 Mbs
ping 208

Dont laugh at my upload..the max is actually .12 Mbs and yes that is a dot before the digits.
Paul.nz
General
General

Internet has been re routered

Post by Paul.nz »

Last night my pings had dropped again to normal so i guess the traffic is now going the correct way.
new test

download 2.33 Mbs
upload .14 Mbs
ping 182ms

Yay i have 150 and 180 pings again.Lets hope it stays like this and stays away from the 225 to 300 areas.