Aeron, some test results...

Tech Talk: Discuss gaming or computer issues here! We will provide answers to general setup questions, configuration problems and support for determining common problems mostly related to bugs.

Moderators: Paul.nz, ViPER, Hottieshottie

Hloudowig
General
General

Aeron, some test results...

Post by Hloudowig »

You had asked about if a 3G wireless modem would work for playing MOH... It should for you with the computer you're using, but you have to watch the time.

You said the site claimed the speed of the channel is ~1.5Mbps (Million of bits per second), that is probably the download speed, hopefully the upload speed at least 768Kbps. This is basically what wired DSL services offer.

I ran some tests this morning. At first I was by myself, then eventually there were 6 of us. My screen resolution was 1280x1024, I had TS on and I ran through a dozen or so maps. I monitored the Ethernet packets. My computer is connected to a router @ 100Mbps. The router is connected to a cable modem which has 5Mbps Up/ 15Mbps Down connection to a server (Not MOH) in Seattle. My frames per second in Holland map was about 50fps (This is due to my Video card being built in, not a separate card).

For one person -> 189Kbps up/ 162Kbps down, the Up stream load is ABOUT 10% more than the Down stream load.
For six people -> 280Kbps up/ 260Kbps down, All of these figures include the Ethernet overhead and are assuming full packets (which can contain 64~1500 data bytes, there always ~26 frame bytes per packet). Sort of a worst case situation.

Based on this I calculate the following:
12 people -> 408Kbps up/ 367Kbps down
18 people -> 528Kbps up/ 475Kbps down

So, you don't want to be downloading anything during the game! :biggrin:

Now, let's look at the time issue. You also said, I believe, that was limited to 3Gbytes per month. Based on that:
Assuming 10 people on average, you'll eat up those 3GBytes in ~9 hours of playing. Fewer, longer. I know there are weeks where I know I exceed 9 hours of play, let alone a month.

Going over a month's budget of bytes is usally very expensive. It is better to have a plan with more bytes, than having to pay overages. Do they offer this?

I hope this helps. This based on some simple assumptions, but I feel it is a good guideline to see what you're in for. These companies are in the business to make money$$$. You would also need access to determining how much data you have used up to that point in the billing cycle. Most companies do offer that for their customers. (BTW, I'm an engineer with experience designing and analyzing comm devices and networks, that doesn't make me the top scorer :biggrin: )
†Aeron†

Post by †Aeron† »

1 is 3 GB per month i get does not say the speed.
An is $20 per month.

2 is unlimited per month with it says 1.5Mbps downlink and 256Kbps Uplink.
it is $30 per month.

They are both wireless 1 is connected with a USB an other is connected
with a cord an jus needs to be plugged in :P
<center>
–««« « ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ » »»»–
Hloudowig
General
General

Post by Hloudowig »

So option 2 would cover the data usage, but the up-stream rate is limiting. According to the numbers I gave you it wouldn't support 6 or more players for you.

But, like I said, I made some simple assumptions, one being is that all of the Ethernet packets contain the maximum 1500 data bytes. I don't know if that is true for MOH. I do know that the data rate for TS is pretty low, and thus the contribution to the upstream load is pretty much neglible compared to MOH.

If all of the packets have the minimum 64 data bytes, then the up stream data rate is reduced by a factor of ~20. But I doubt that, it is probably somewhere in between.

A suggestion - IF there is no contract and IF you can return the modem within 30 days if it doesn't work out for you, then get one and try it. There is still the question if your location can really receive the 3-G service. All of their service coverage maps are based on simple assumptions, they don't usually take into account foilage, specific shapes of mountains and low lying areas. Believe me, I've had to deal with this sort of thing.

BTW, what kind of service do you have now? Cable modem? wired DSL?
Paul.nz
General
General

3g

Post by Paul.nz »

I see you keep talking about 3g.Our cellphones have 3g here and are very bad for games.We also have woosh wireless internet which is extremely bad for games and only suitable for broweing websites.
3g here has latency issues and the telco companys wont considering looking into pings less than 1 1/2 seconds.
Obviously we still live in grass huts and have to hunt for our dinner so your internet may be totally different or your 3g may be totally different.
When changing internet companys i also ask and look into the latency limit they allow before they will look into it and you will be surprised what they allow.Most internet companys hate gamers and just want the people who pay big money to serf the internet a few times a week.