BBQ ribs and chicken

Like To Cook? Post your best recipes and share your food and drink experiences here.

Moderators: Paul.nz, Hottieshottie, Moving Target

ViPER
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

BBQ ribs and chicken

Post by ViPER »

for me the best ribs and chicken are cooked on a wood/charcoal grill low heat (about 300-350) I use pecan or hickory and wood charcoal. Pecan is the best wood as it is less harsh and can be used throughout the process. soak some (not all) of the wood to get smoke.

I use a rub on both and serve sauce on the side.

Grill the chicken on high for about ten minutes first so the skin starts to crisp then apply rub before Qing.

the chicken will cook longer depending on the size - a rack of ribs should take about one to one and a half hours.

The Rub.

1st rub the ribs with mustard. and the somewhat cooled and crisp chicken with a little olive oil.

make about a cup of dry rub for each rack and/or chicken - sorry for the measurements - this is how i cook.

mostly brown sugar
lots of paprika
black pepper (to adjust ^hot)
some salt and garlic (to taste)
add something you like to make it unique like

a touch of cummin or cinnamon or chilli powder or hot pepper. for the chicken add something more savory like rosemary or thyme or celery salt.

I serve these with a round of grilled veggies and grilled flat bread.

some tips-

get a little stand for your chicken to be upright -then you never need to turn it.

if you can protect the meat from direct harsh heat - then you can basically leave the meat to cook undisturbed -
checking on the fire only every 15 to 20 minutes.

i dont like to cook with a sauce (makes meats pasty and gooey) but i serve it on the side. make your own sauce - But if you have a favorite sauce off the shelve i say go for it. I like Cattleman's smoky bbq sauce. sometimes ill add crispy Q'd pork and fat shavings and a couple shots of Jack Daniels to the sauce - warm it just a little. hmmm

cool beer is always served while bbqing - makes every thing tatse better.
Ouch
General
General

Post by Ouch »

gawd dam now i gotta go eat...wish you guys could show up here and cook for me.. :roll:
thru the mud and the blood.. to the green fields beyound
hitman
< TWL > Hall of Fame
< TWL > Hall of Fame

Post by hitman »

damn that looks good must tri
ViPER
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander

Post by ViPER »

Peas asked to see this - this is my rig - i built it with cinder block - wood frame - wonder board and sweat.

It has a three zone gas DCS grill - a fridge - 4 power outlets - two storage compartments and a parking space for my Big Green Egg BBQ.

I also have (not shown) a brick elevating built-in charcoal grill with an additional 4 sq ft of grill space, A tandor clay oven and plans to build a Pizza/bread oven.
Felony Entertainment

BBQ'in...

Post by Felony Entertainment »

DAMN! You are the man. Nice set up Vipe. So, what day and time are we ALL coming over. I'll bring the beer.
Desert Templar

Post by Desert Templar »

mmmmmmm.... barbecque...... ribs....... CHICKEN!!!....(gargle gargle gargle, drool, drool)
"On The Battlefield, it is the luck of the draw"